Spina Bifida Treatment in Hyderabad
Spina bifida is a common birth defect where the spine and spinal cord do not form completely. The signs and the severity of this condition vary from mild to severe. It occurs when the neural tube, a structure that forms the brain does not close completely. The neural tube is formed in the early stages of pregnancy and it gets closed on the 28th day of the pregnancy. If a child has this condition, the neural tube does not close completely and it leads to physical and mental issues.
Types of Spina Bifida
There are three different types of spina bifida such as:
- Spina bifida occulta (SBO): It is the common and mild type of spina bifida. In this type of spina bifida, there will be only a small gap in the spine and the spinal cord and nerves are normal. Most people do not know that they have this condition until they have some imaging tests for some other diagnosis. In most cases, it does not cause any problems. But in rare cases, this condition can cause problems such as numbness in the legs during the adolescence stage.
- Myelomeningocele: It is also known as open spina bifida and it is the severe type. In myelomeningocele, the spinal canal will be open in several places in the lower and middle back. During childbirth, the membranes and spinal nerves are pushed through the opening. As a result, a sac of fluid comes out on the back of the baby and tissues and nerves get exposed. This condition can cause serious issues in children such as gait abnormality, mental retardation, urinary and fecal incontinence and kidney failure.
- Meningocele: It is the rare type of spina bifida. In this condition, the sac of fluid gets pushed through the opening on the child’s back. It does not cause any harm to the nerves and many people do not have any signs. Some people may notice an impact on the functioning of the bowels and bladder, and some have disabilities. Apart from this, the child will not have any neurological issues.
Common Signs of Spina Bifida
The signs of spina bifida are based on the type of spina bifida and the severity. The signs for different types include:
- Spina bifida occulta: It does not show any signs in most cases. In some cases, the child may have signs in the area of spinal problems such as tuft hair, birthmark, etc. will have incontinence of urine
- Meningocele: If your child has meningocele, then you can see a sac of fluid poking on the back of the infant. There can also be a layer of skin on the sac of fluid.
- Myelomeningocele: This type of severe spina bifida shows signs such as:
- Problems with bowels and bladder
- Weak leg muscles
- Feet in different shapes
- Curved spine
- Uneven hips
What Causes Spina Bifida?
The exact reason for spina bifida is unknown. However, the doctors determine that genetics, and environmental factors such as the following can be reasons for spina bifida:
- Folic acid deficiency
- Family history of neural tube issues
- Use of certain medications such as anti-seizure medications
- Pre-pregnancy obesity
- If the mother has diabetes, the child may develop spina bifida
Diagnosis of Spina Bifida
Different tests can help detect spina bifida during pregnancy. The tests include:
- Blood tests: The mother’s blood sample is collected and will be checked for AFP protein produced by the baby. The higher levels of AHP indicate spina bifida.
- Ultrasound: High-frequency sound waves are used during this test. An ultrasound helps to know any issues in the spine of the fetus.
- Amniocentesis: This test is used if the blood test shows high levels of AFP and the ultrasound is normal. During this test, the fluid from the uterus is collected using a needle to look for AFP protein.
In some cases, spina bifida is diagnosed after childbirth if the ultrasound did not detect any issues. The doctor may use X-rays and MRIs to get clear images of the baby.
Treatment of Spina Bifida
The treatment for spina bifida varies from one person to another based on the type and severity. Spina bifida occulta do not require any treatment, but other types need treatment.
All children with spinal cord deformities will develop urinary problems and if left untreated will ultimately result in kidney failure. The treatment starts at birth. the treatment consists of CSIC, Medications and long term follow up to preserve kidney function, make them socially acceptable and productive, and when they grow up preserve sexual function too allow these children to lead a independent life
Meet Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy Today for Effective Spina Bifida Treatment
Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy is one of the best pediatric urologists in Hyderabad with over 30 years of experience. Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy is experienced in robotic surgery pediatric tumors and is recognized as the top urologist in Hyderabad. He can treat a vast range of urology problems in children and adults. To know your treatment options, call us or drop an email.