Prostate Enlargement Treatment in Hyderabad
Prostate gland enlargement is also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). As you get older, several changes occur in the body and the growth of the prostate gland is also one of them. The prostate gland is a small gland in the male reproductive system that surrounds the urethra. As men get older, the chances of developing this condition are high. This condition can affect the flow of urine in the bladder and can also cause kidney problems.
However, there are several treatment options for prostate gland enlargement. You must visit an experienced doctor to get proper treatment.
Common Signs of Prostate Enlargement
The symptoms of prostate enlargement vary from one patient to another. But the following are the common signs:
- Unable to empty the bladder
- Urinating frequently
- Leakage of urine
- Difficulty to start urinating
- Always urgent need to urinate
- Pain during urination
- A weak urine streams
- Different smell and color of urine
- Urinary tract infection
If you have any signs of prostate enlargement, consider visiting a doctor at the earliest to get an early diagnosis.
What Causes Prostate Enlargement?
Prostate enlargement occurs as you get older. But the exact cause for BPH remains unknown. The multiplication of the prostate gland can be due to the changes in sex hormones in men.
The following are the risk factors for developing prostate enlargement:
- If you are older than 40 years
- If you have a family history of prostate gland enlargement
- Inadequate physical activity
- Kidney stones
- Prostate or bladder cancer
- Infection of urinary tract
Does BPH Lead to Any Complications?
BPH is not related to prostate cancer, but can affect your overall health and quality of life. It can affect your daily activities, and causes discomfort, and stress. As the prostate gland keeps growing, the signs of BPH become severe and lead to the following complications:
- Urinary retention
- Kidneys can get damaged
- Narrowing of the urine tube
- bladder stones
- Blood while urinating
- Infection of the urinary tract
How is BPH or Prostate Gland Enlargement Diagnosed?
The doctor will start the diagnosis by asking you about your signs and will also conduct a physical exam. The doctor will also ask about your family’s medical history. The doctor also conducts several tests for diagnosis such as the following:
- Rectal exam: The doctor inserts the finger into your rectum to look for prostate enlargement.
- Urine test: A urine test helps to look for any infection and other issues that can cause your signs.
- Blood test: This helps to know if you have any kidney issues.
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA): If you have high levels of prostate-specific antigen, it can be a sign of an enlarged prostate gland.
Based on the results of the above tests, the doctor may also conduct other additional tests to get a clear idea of your condition. The doctor may also conduct different ultrasounds, biopsy, Cystourethroscopy, etc.
Treatment Options for Prostate Gland Enlargement
The treatment provided by the doctor is based on your age, health condition, the size of the prostate gland, and how it is affecting your life. You do not need treatment unless your signs bother you. Making lifestyle changes such as practising exercise, and reducing alcohol consumption and caffeine can control your condition.
The other treatment options include the following:
- Medications: Medications are the common treatment for mild to moderate prostate gland enlargement. Some medications help to shrink the prostate gland whereas other medications can relax the prostate muscles.
- Surgery: Surgery is performed only if the medications do not work or if you have moderate to severe signs. Most of the surgeries are non-invasive and do not require any incisions. Surgery focuses on removing a part of the prostate gland. Different surgical options include:
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
- Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP)
- Laser therapy
Get Relief from the Signs of Prostate Gland Enlargement! Visit Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy Today
Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy has been working as a Pediatric Urologist in Hyderabad for over 30 years. He has over one lakh of happy patients and has gained vast knowledge in the field of urology. He has treated a wide range of urology disorders and has experience conducting adult and pediatric surgeries. You will receive both medical and surgical treatments for your condition at one place. To know more about the treatment, call us today.