Frequent Urination Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
In general, the bladder has the ability to store urine until you are comfortable to go toilet. You may go to the toilet for about 4 to 8 times in a day. But if you need to pee for more than 8 times a day, it is an indication of some underlying health problem. Frequent urination can happen to anyone, but is commonly seen in old age people and pregnant women.
Frequent urination can occur due to various reasons. The treatment for frequent urination is also based on the underlying cause.
Common Signs of Frequent Urination
The most common sign of frequent urination is the need to urinate more frequently than usual. This can also have an impact on your quality of life. If you are urinating frequently, you may experience the following signs based on the underlying cause:
- pain in the lower part of abdomen
- Urinary incontinence
- Need to urinate frequently at night
- Pain during urination
- Dribbling after urinating
- Smelly urine
If you have any of these signs along with frequent urinating, consider visiting your doctor for a proper diagnosis of the underlying cause.
What Causes Frequent Urination?
Frequent urination can be a sign of underlying medical problems ranging from kidney disease to excess fluid intake. The following are some of the common causes of frequent urination:
- Pregnancy: It is very common for pregnant to urinate frequently. This is because the growing uterus exerts pressure on the bladder. Frequent urination occurs more often in the first and third trimester. However, this will be resolved after childbirth.
- Diabetes: Patients who have uncontrolled type 1 and type 2 diabetes have excess glucose in their blood. Due to this, kidneys need to work overtime to remove unwanted glucose from the body. The unwanted glucose passes through the urine and the patient experiences frequent urination.
- Prostate issues: If you have an enlarged prostate, it can get pressed against the urethra and affect the urine flow. This can irritate the bladder and it gets contracted even with small amounts of urine. This leads to frequent urination. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is the most common cause of frequent urination in men over the age of 50.
- Urinary tract problems: It is also a common cause of frequent urination. Urinary tract infections can occur when bacteria invade the urethra. This can further lead to inflammation and the bladder loses its ability to hold the urine. Common urinary tract infections include overactive bladder syndrome, interstitial cystitis, and urethral opening stenosis.
Other possible causes of frequent urination include:
- Bladder cancer
- Bladder stones
- Kidney infection
- Urethral stricture
- Pelvic tumour
- Bladder dysfunction
- Radiation therapy
How is Frequent Urination Diagnosed?
To diagnose frequent urination, the doctor will consider your medical history, how frequently you are urinating, medications you use, etc. The doctor also asks you about your signs and the pattern of frequent urination. If the doctor suspects that an underlying issue is causing frequent urination, the following tests may be used:
- Blood tests
- Neurological tests
Treating Frequent Urination
The treatment for frequent urination is based on the underlying cause. For example, if diabetes is the cause, then the treatment involves keeping blood sugar levels in control. If a urinary tract infection is causing frequent urination, then using antibiotics can be helpful. If an enlarged prostate is the cause, then the doctor prescribes medications to shrink the prostate.
The following lifestyle changes can also help manage frequent urination, but cannot treat the underlying cause:
- Reducing alcohol consumption and caffeine
- Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic and bladder muscles (For Female Patients)
- Reducing fluid intake before bedtime
- Training the bladder to hold the urine for a long time (Children)
Experiencing Frequent Urination? Meet Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy Today
If you or your loved one is experiencing frequent urination, consider visiting Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy. He has over 30 years of experience treating a wide range of urological issues for all age groups. He has gained fame and popularity in Hyderabad for his exceptional and affordable services. He is well versed in robotic-assisted kidney transplants and an expert in advanced laparoscopic surgeries. He first focuses on determining the cause of the condition and then suggests a suitable treatment solution. If you would like to discuss your issue with Dr Mallikarjuna Reddy, call us and schedule your initial consultation today.